1. Shop during the daylight hours. If you shop at night, park in a well-lit area close to the entrance.
2. Take a friend or relative shopping with you because there is safety in numbers.
3. Walk confidently, keeping awareness of the people in front of you, behind you and to your sides.
4. Avoid talking to strangers which makes you and easier target.
5. Carry as little cash as possible. If you carry a large amount of cash, be careful and do not let others see it.
6. Keep your purse held tightly against your body with the flap facing toward you. Avoid carrying large purses.
7. When dining, keep your purse on your lap or on the ground between your feet.
8. Try not to carry a large number of shopping bags or packages. Put smaller bags inside bigger bags to reduce the number of bags.
9. When shopping with a cart, do not put your purse inside the cart. Keep your purse on your shoulder or in your hand at all times.
10. Never go into isolated areas and to poorly lit corridors of shopping centers. Avoid restrooms that are off the beaten path.
11. Never send a small child into a restroom alone. Instead, go in with the child and use family restrooms if they are available.
12. Never leave your purse or wallet open while making a purchase. Cell phone cameras and small hidden cameras located in hats, ties, sunglasses, purses, briefcases, umbrellas and jackets are now being used to take pictures of your identification. Items such as a driver's license, social security card and credit/ debit card can be easily photographed and duplicated within minutes by way of wireless transmission.
13. Never wear expensive looking jewelry or display a large amount of money. Never make an expensive purchase when there are many others that can see the transaction. Predators are constantly on the hunt for people who make a good size purchase and/or display large sums of money. A predator may follow their intended victim to the parking lot or to their home, if necessary, to rob them of their valuables or money.
14. Never stop to offer any information about yourself or others to anyone asking to take a survey.
15. When trying on clothing or testing a product, never leave or set down your purse or other valuables. Hang the purse on the changing room hook.
16. If someone suddenly bumps into you or directs your attention towards something, immediately put yourself into a high security mode as this person may be attempting to harm you.
17. Never go with anyone posing as a clerk or store detective unless you are absolutely sure they are legitimate. Never go anywhere isolated from others.
18. If the store requires picking up the item you have purchased from an isolated area of the store, ask that they provide security for you while in this area.
19. Carry a second diversionary money fold that consists of several singles covered by one larger bill, such as a twenty. Should someone attempt to rob you of your money and/or valuables, throw your diversionary money fold one way and run the other way. They will run to get the money and you can run away. Should they ignore this, and proceed to come after you, it was not the money they were after, so be prepared to use other countermeasures including screaming for help as loud as you can.
20. When the pharmacist or anyone at the payment desk asks you to confirm your home address, whisper it to them. Do not speak loudly, when strangers/ shoppers around could hear and put your safety at risk.21. Do not leave your purse unattended even when going to the changing room, or wash room. With the purse, you will lose your cash, credit and debit cards, and also endanger your personal safety because they will have your home address too. Suppose you have kept your smartphone and tablet devices in the purse, they compromise you because you have configured email addresses, social media accounts, and banking apps which can be used to transfer money out of your bank accounts with OTP (One Time Password), private pictures such as of family.
22. Consider not carrying a purse when you can tuck your wallet into your pockets. Carry your wallet and car keys on your body, do not keep them in your bag or purse. This way, suppose the bag is stolen, my money, my identity cards and keys to the vehicle to escape are with you.