When you go on a vacation, you risk leaving your house and its belongings to burglars. Make them secure with these tips.
Secure your home before leaving.
1. Have good locks on all doors and windows, and lock them before you leave.
2. Ask a neighbor to watch your home while you are gone. Leave as much information about your vacation with them as possible, including emergency contact information in case something happens.
3. Arrange for a neighbor or family member to gather your mail and newspaper deliveries.
4. Plug in timers to turn lights on and of to simulate that the house is being used.
5. Create the illusion that someone is home. For example, attach a television or radio to a timer to occasionally turn on and off and create noise.
6. Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway if you will be taking your vehicle with you. If you leave your car at home, park it as you normally would.
7. Arrange for someone to mow your lawn and maintain the yard should you be gone for a long period of time. During winter, make arrangements to have your snow shoveled. This will indicate that your house is being looked after.
On your trip.
8. Trust your instincts and speak up if you think or feel something is dangerous.
9. Confirm your reservations before leaving home.
10. Keep a record of all traveler's check numbers, your credit and debit card numbers in a safe place. Keep a record of all the helpline numbers and emails of your bank and credit card companies in case they become lost or stolen. Refer the tips of ‘Cyber Security’.
11. Do not carry large amounts of cash. If you must carry large sums, do not display it openly to others.
12. Be aware of your surroundings and do not advertise your travel plans to strangers.
13. Do not carry your airplane tickets or passport in open view. Secure these important documents in a safe place.
Women - if you carry these in a purse, place your purse across your body rather than just over your shoulder.
Men - carry these documents in a safe container or in the front pocket of your pants instead of your back pocket.